Sunday, April 11, 2010

Sad news for me an soccer... and the week that was



I was very naughty. Yesterday on my off day I played soccer for 90 minutes (I took it very easy in a practice). I needed to find out if my hips could take it or not and this easy practice seemed the best way. I have, sadly, decided that I cannot play soccer. My left hip was very sore last night – only one position was comfortable for sleep - and today’s run was more difficult than it should have been because of lingering hip pain and stiffness. Sitting here in the afternoon, my hip is feeling somewhat better. This is good – running makes my hips feel good. In fact, as the day has worn on my hip feels better and better. Good evidence that I can get through the Sask Marathon, Chinook Half Ironman, Frank Dunn Triathlon, Ironman Canada, Las Vegas Marathon, and the Boston Marathon before hanging up my spikes. I am thinking about The Canadian Death Race in 2011 (or maybe Tough Guy in the UK) but that’s another issue…

Otherwise today’s run was good. I did 1:50 at very close to 5:15. My first 10.5 km was at 5:17 and then my second 10.5 km was at 5:15. The second lap was one of the hardest runs I have had in some time because of the stiffness and soreness in the hips. I really tried to buckle down and push myself to keep up the pace despite the pain. Good mental training, I think. And, definitive proof that I need to stop soccer – WAY too hard on my hips.

Weekly totals:

Swim: 45 minutes, 1.5 km (I missed a bunch of swimming – sailboat injury one night, migraine another).
Bike: 3:15, 74 km
Run: 5 hours, 55.5 km.
Strength: 2 hours

Total: 11 hours.

I meet Coach Bruce on Monday. Here is what I am giving him to work with this week.

MONDAY – I have time some time in the afternoon. I am planning one hour strength training with NO squats or lunges to give my hips a complete break.
TUESDAY -- You can have from 1 pm to 3:30 pm. I would like to run with Raj at 2:00PM. He is good at 5:15/km
WEDNESDAY – You can have 90 minutes in the afternoon (from 12:30 to 2:00 pm). I will swim for 45 minutes in the evening
THURSDAY – I will swim with Paul for 1 hour at lunch. You can have 90 minutes in the afternoon.
FRIDAY – Strength training from 10:30 am to 11:30 am. Swim 45 minutes over lunch. Nap. Then you can have an hour in the afternoon?
SATURDAY -- Day of rest?
SUNDAY – You can have 6 hours Sunday morning 6 am to noon. My running partners start at 9 am so if you want me to ride before then I can.

Looking ahead to the following weekend there are a couple of local races… I wonder what my coach wants me to do?

Saturday April 24 – Bridge City Duathalon – approx 5 km run, 20 km bike, 5 km run. (My total race time will be about 1:05)
Sunday April 25 – Saskatoon Police Service ½ Marathon or SRRA 10 km run. I would be interested in taking a shot at a 45 minute 10 km run. I am happy to run a half if you prefer. Or, neither if you prefer.

And, looking WAY ahead into June…

May 30 – Marathon ***REGISTERED
June 6 – Moes Triathlon (500m swim, 12 km bike, 6 km run)
Jun 13 – Bridge City Boogie 10 km race
June 19 – Chinook Half Ironman (I am not doing the Olympic Distance Spin Off Spadina as it now conflicts with this race) ***REGISTERED

No comments:

Post a Comment