Thursday, April 22, 2010

From frustration to elation



I sure have some frustrating days (and night's). As I type this, for instance, my left hip feels pretty good. This is a very relative term, though. I mean it feels pretty good measured against the range of how it can feel. At it's worst it is really painful. At it's best it is sore with occasional shots of sharp pain. This results in some really frustrating moments. Last night, for instance, the pain in my hip woke me up (it's always worst lying down). In my groggy state of mind I found myself seriously debating whether or not I will make it to Ironman before it gives out. After more fitful sleep I woke up pretty demoralized. Frustration.

Late in the day, though, I spent an hour swimming under Coach Paul's tutelage. I always feel really good after swimming. The evening's hard repeats were much easier than the last time I ran 5 x 2 min at 170+ heart rate. Not easier to get my heart rate that high. No. Easier psychologically to push myself. At the end of the run I felt almost athletic. Elation.

I even tried rollerblading with Hannah the Dog. Never done that before (and haven't been on rollerblades in at least 3 years). No falls. Hannah is having NO trouble sleeping. She's pooped. Of course, she was at the working end of the harness.

Now... time to take some pain meds and go to bed. The best position is with most of my weight on my left cheek -- sort of on my back but a little bit on my side. It's a delicate balance.

No comments:

Post a Comment