Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Back to feeling good about life and training



Training is like have a case of rapid-cycling bipolar disorder. Not just from day-to-day but also from hour to hour. Today was manic, happy Dave.

Today's run was short and felt awesome. 10 x 400 m at 1:45/400m (that's about 4:22/km). I could have done them a little faster but that's not the point.

Rep    Time    Avg Heart
1    1:43    141
2    1:41    138
3    1:44    131
4    1:44    133
5    1:46    140
6    1:41    141
7    1:44    142
8    1:41    143
9    1:41     145 (Coming up University Bridge)
10    1:48    150 (Finish bridge and steep hill at top)

I am pretty happy with that. Call me Mr. Dial-A-Pace.Good heart rate results too, I think.

I headed out for my ride almost immediately following the run. I did the Clavet Triangle (55 km). It was 1/3 into a BRUTAL headwind over the three College Drive hills, 1/3 cross wind North past the potash mines, and one fast ride home from Clavet. See if you can tell on this speed graph where I turned east and headed for home? Yeah. It's kinda obvious.



I really tried to focus some attention on pedaling efficiency (aided by my Polar Bike Computer with power meter). This is a big area of weakness for me. It felt pretty good. I definitely am developing a better feel for spinning as opposed to driving down a short stroke with my quads.

The best news from the ride is that I didn't really feel any ill-effect when complete. I last did the Triangle on April 7 and was left feeling tired. I have done it many time and always felt tired. This time, nothing. It certainly felt like I could have gotten off the bike and gone for a long run. All this training does seem to be training my muscles to go longer. This is good.  By May 30, a 3:30 marathon will not hurt at all, right?

I even looked happy at the 2 hour mark...

No comments:

Post a Comment