Friday, April 9, 2010

100 km/h wind - glad I didn't have to run today



As noted in my previous post, I juggled my training schedule to avoid running and biking today as the weather forecast was for something close to Armageddon. The forecast did not miss by much. Gusting to 100 km/hour. They evacuated the 18 story S.G.I. Building in Regina after some wall in the parkade gave way and the SGI Building started to sway enough to make people feel sick. Glad I didn't have to run. More on this at the end of this post.


I swam. A good 1500 m swim. I did my last 100 m in 1:50, which is a fine time for me. It will be interesting to see if I can improve on this. I think I could go faster even at my current level of skill with a little more experience managing effort v. distance.

I am happy with my swimming. I have learned to relax if I need to get my house in order and I am definitely the fastest that I have ever been (which is still slow). I am looking forward to Moe's Triathlon (June 6 - one week after my 3:30 marathon) and then the Chinook Half Ironman on June 19. This means I cannot do the Olympic distance at Spin Off Spadina. Too bad as that would have been my only Olympic distance this season and I would be interested to see if I am any faster. I suppose I could race in Calgary on Saturday and then drive home and race in Saskatoon on Sunday...

And I went to the gym. My strength training coach Lindsay was out in Armageddon weather for a 2 hour run this morning and another two hours late in the afternoon. She claims it was awesome. I claim she is lying. Although as I said to her, "When you hit that wall during the run in Ironman this year, remembering this run - 100 km/hour gusts with snow that felt like little daggers - will give you something to focus on."

I feel sufficiently knowledgeable about strength training - form in particular - that I am going to help the local fencing club with some strength training. I am not going to lead anything but I will help the fencers with their form.

No comments:

Post a Comment