Friday, May 7, 2010

Two crashes in one day



I had two wipe outs in one day. The first one was pretty much my fault. I was at the gym with my training partner Raj and my Strength Training Coach Lindsay. Raj was on the treadmill warming up. I was still getting my shoes on. I decided that it would be fun to jump on the treadmill behind him, perfectly synchronized to his cadence. I said, "Raj, whatever happens, keep running." After getting his rhythm in my head I stepped onto the treadmill with my right foot first. I don't think my left foot ever made it to the belt. I was shot off the side with a fair amount of violence. The only resulting injury, fortunately, was a little belt rash on my left elbow.




Raj pointed out that this is the problem with people, like me, who have ADD. We get an idea but we don't really think it through. Fair enough. I am not sure what I would have done if I had successfully started running behind him.

Blaine pointed out that this we probably God's punishment for wearing a Hab's jersey which is what I was wearing when I first arrived at the gym.

My second wipeout came later in the day on my bike. I had just started, I was at the busy corner of Arlington and 8th Street. I was in the right lane, against the curb. I came to a stop. I unclipped my left foot and set it on the ground. No problem. Immediately in front of me was a truck that was signaling a right turn. In front of the truck there was a car, also turning right. The car started and then suddenly stopped. I don’t know why she stopped. The truck didn’t and rear ended the car. Crunch. For some reason this caused to be fall over. I fell to my right where my right foot was still clipped to my pedal. I really don't know how I accomplished this feat. I was at a complete stop. I was nicely balanced on my left foot. But, for some reason as soon as there was a crunch I fell over to my right. Luckily I fell onto the grass.

Now I found myself half on the grass and half on the road with my right foot still clipped to my pedal. The truck started backing up. I was about 8 feet behind him but I became very concerned that there was no way he could see me as I was lying on the ground. I tried an emergency combination inch worm maneuver / sideways kip up. Basically I tried to wiggle off the road onto the lawn while dragging my bike off the road, hands on handlebars and right foot still clipped onto pedal. It worked. I cleared the road. I was not backed over. As it turns out, I would not have been anyway as the truck only backed up about a foot. It was, however, quite a show for the people in the car behind me.

Got my training done. Sixty minutes of strength training, forty-five minutes of swimming, and one hour of cycling. I am glad I didn't crash at the pool too.

No comments:

Post a Comment