Sunday, May 16, 2010

A big ugly swallow of humility

Oh training you are a fickle mistress. Last Monday I felt really good in my meeting with Bruce. Training going great. Everything is moving according to plan. Then there comes a day like today to return one's sense of humility.

Pooched the run today. It wasn’t pretty. The run was supposed to be 18 km at my race pace of 4:55/km. I ran close to 9.5 km at 4:55 with three stops – refill water, bathroom, and let Hannah the dog go for a swim -- but the last two km were slowing down slightly and I decided that I simply could not keep it up. Of course, I COULD have kept it up but I am wimped out.

There were certain problems today but really nothing that amounts to an excuse. I was having the worst hip and knee pain that I have had while running (more hip than knee). Not really pain – more discomfort. Unusual, though, as they don’t normally bother my while running at all. THe hip pain usually comes afterwards.

And… I was HOT. Africa hot. Tarzan couldn't stand that hear (Thank you Mathew Broderick). It was close to 30 C when we finidhed.

At the 9.5 km mark I decided to throw pace out the window and just finish the run at whatever pace in order to get the mileage in. So I did another 9 km with LOTS of stops for water, letting Hannah swim, etc.

Post run was not good, either. I was really sore. Enough that two people said, "You're limping." I wasn't actually but sometimes if I don't focus on standing up straight and walking normally I do develop a combination stoop/hobble. I iced my hip flexors and IT bands (near the knee), took some pain meds, and had a nap. This improved things a lot. By the evening I felt a lot better.

Two weeks to race day.

Fifteen weeks to Ironman Canada.

No comments:

Post a Comment