Sunday, March 21, 2010

This week in review -- and motivation to lose weight

Today marks 10 weeks until the Saskatchewan Marathon.

Despite one horrific run this week, it was a good week. I got a lot of training in and sitting here on Sunday afternoon I feel healthy and strong – not beat up and decrepit.

Swimming this week – 150 minutes in three training sessions

Paul has had me swimming 24 x 50 m for the main workout. I have a new theory about my swimming. In the past my stroke was very inefficient. This made me slow but it also put less stress on my triceps and deltoids. I have gotten a lot of efficient and I can really feel myself surging through the water. I am wondering, though, if my muscles have fallen behind my ability. It feels like I need a little bit more time to adapt to the new power in my stroke. Perhaps this is why Paul has me doing 24 x 50?

Cycling this week – 130 minutes in two training sessions

I really enjoyed cycling this week. Got on my hybrid and went for two easy pace rides (4 hard 1 min repeats in one of them). I was supposed to ride on Thursday but my run on Wednesday was so horrible that Bruce had me take Thursday off. I felt so good today after my run that I thought it would be OK to put in an easy 70 minute ride as recovery. Seems to have worked I feel good.

Running the week – 325 minutes in four training sessions 52.59 km total distance

Back on Wednesday I was supposed to run 8 repeats of 4 min at 4:00/km. I did not even come close. I simply could not do that pace. Today, though, I had a great run. 20 km with 2 x 3 km at 4:55. Strong and healthy throughout. Running is interesting and humbling. Just when you really feel you are getting a handle on things you have a horrible run. And other times you head out expecting a miserable run and you have a great time.

TOTAL CALORIES BURNED: 6100 – You know, if I don’t lose a little weight I am going to SERIOUSLY need to look at my diet.

Ralph tells me that according to Runner World weight accounts for 2 seconds/pound/mile. In other words if you lose a pound of fat you will be two seconds faster over a mile. This does not seem like much. But... right now I am about 159 lbs. I could like to be 150 pounds. Over marathon distance (26.2 miles) this should improve my time by an amazing 7:51. Wow. This could well be the difference between me going to Boston and not going to Boston (I missed in Las Vegas by 5:34). Time to take this whole weight loss thing a little more seriously. I think I will open a beer and consider this while I watch the U of S Men's Basketball team play for the national championship.

Go Huskies!

No comments:

Post a Comment