Sunday, March 14, 2010

First run in shorts. Yay!

On Saturday I got up early and cycled at the Fieldhouse. This was not really part of the original plan but, having canceled my trip to Calgary, it seems like a good idea to get some cycling kilometers in.

Saturday afternoon I did an easy interval run. 4 x 3 min at heart rate 165-170 beats/minute. This was my first run of the season in shorts! Yay! Still got a little muddy.

The problem is not avoiding the puddles. No. The problem is having Hannah the Dog in front of me. It’s like following a semi on the highway on a rainy day. It’s not the rain that gets you, it’s the spray off the tires of the truck in front of you. Hannah runs through a puddle and tosses up water that gets all over my legs.

On this run I had trouble getting my heart rate high enough. It takes me two minutes to plateau my heart rate (I notice the same thing in swimming). Really only the last 60 seconds are done in the target heart rate zone.

Sunday I went for a long slow run with Graham and Glenn. We ran for 1:35:00 with a heart rate around the 145 beats/minutes range. Very sustainable. I was, however, left with a lot of pain in my left hip. As I type this I am waiting for Heather to supply drugs. Celebrex works wonders for me. I no longer take it daily but I do take is when the pain is causing some dysfunction – walking or sleeping.

Still not yearning for exercise, but I am still doing what is required so I guess that’s good.

This week's mileage:

Distance - 39.44 km
Time - 4 hr 11 min
Avg Heart Rate - 140 beats/min

No comments:

Post a Comment