Sunday, March 28, 2010

Makeup interval and longest run in years...

Friday’s Interval Run

I ran Friday. This was the Wednesday interval run moved to Friday. And, I shortened it slightly to fit it in. Instead of doing 4 x 3 minutes + 2 minutes I only did 3 fast repeats, three times. So, for a total of 27 minutes, I ran hard. I ran the first hard repeat at about 4:20 and felt that this was too slow. I tried to run all of the rest at 4:00/km. The second half was into a BIG headwind so although fatigue played some role, I think that the wind played some as well. In both cases I was working pretty hard.

Fast Interval / Pace / Avg Heart / Max Heart
1 4:08 / 152 / 162
2 3:59 / 156 / 168
3 4:01 / 161 / 169
(5 min walk as set break)
4 4:01 / 154 / 167
5 4:04 / 160 / 170
6 4:09 / 159 / 169
(5 min walk as set break – had a gel)
7 4:07 / 158 / 168
8 4:08 / 156 / 170
9 4:05 / 157 / 170

I felt good about this run. I felt I pushed hard – probably could have gone slightly harder but not much.

Sunday’s Long Run

2 hours and 30 minutes easy. We did this in two laps. The first lap too 1:03 (we stopped to refill water bottles). The second lap we added some distance up Spadina from the Circle Drive Bridge.

I forgot to stop my watch as I drove home at 50 km/hr so the data is a little wonky. Pretty consistently, though, we ran just below 6:00/km and the run was 2:25 in total.

With the last couple of km to go I sped up to race pace briefly and, good news, it didn’t seem to increase my discomfort anything at all. I had enough pop left that I ran up the stairs at the Idylwyld Bridge and sprinted across the bridge to finish off the run.

Ralph asked me how confident I was about running 3:30 in May. I feel VERY confident. I feel strong and capable. And, it’s still 9 weeks away. I am not sure how I will about the course, though. The start is at the Hank Ruys Soccer Centre. This means that there will be a GROSS hill heading back to the finish line. In a city of almost no hills it looks like the organizers are going to run us up the only long slow hill around. That will hurt.

I am going to start using my bike for basic transportation in order to start getting some time in the saddle.

No comments:

Post a Comment