Monday, June 7, 2010

Hi ho, hi ho... Back to the grind

After a week of rest, time to get back at it. Ironman is now 12 weeks away.



I have recently resolved – and I mean it – to have NO time goal for Ironman. I don’t. Whatever happens on Aug 29 my job is to race the race, enjoy the day as best I can, and finish when I do. This does not mean, however, that I do not have training goals. I am going to train as if my time goal was 12 hours (even though it’s not). And I need to keep a high level of intensity because I do have a time goal on Oct 10 – 3:30 marathon in Victoria.

With that in mind, here is Coach Bruce’s plan for this coming two weeks. I will be meeting Bruce in one week from now so the second week is malleable depending on how this week goes.

MON (June 7) – Afternoon 60 minute strength, evening 60 minute swim
TUE – Afternoon 2 hour ride easy, 30 minute run at 4:30/km
WED – Afternoon ride 60 to 90 minutes with 2 x 15 minutes at 160 beats/minute, evening 90 minute swim
THU – Afternoon 60 minute run easy, afternoon 60 minute swim with Coach Paul
FRI – DAY OF REST
SAT – Morning 40 km ride easy + 30 minute swim easy + 40 km ride at race pace + 30 minute run at race pace + 30 minute run easy.
SUN – 10 km race (Bridge City Boogie), 60 minute ride easy

TOTAL FOR WEEK: 15 hours

MON (June 14) – afternoon 60 minute strength training, evening 60 minute swim
TUE – Afternoon 2 hour ride (5 x 8 min at 165/min with 3 min set break), 60 minute run easy
WED – Afternoon 60 minute ride easy, evening 90 minute swim
THU – Afternoon 40 minute run (5 x 3 min at 4:55/km with 2 min set break), 60 minute swim with Coach Paul
FRI – DAY OF REST (Drive to Calgary)
SAT – Chinook Half-Ironman in Calgary (Bike hard, run c. 5:15 to 5:30/km)
SUN – Afternoon 60 minute ride easy, 30 minute run easy

TOTAL FOR WEEK: 16 hours 40 minutes



Additional notes – At the Bridge City Boogie on June 13 I will wear my Garmin but I will not look at pace. I will simply push through the run and see what my finishing pace is. Similarly at the Chinook Half Ironman on June 19 I will wear my Garmin for the run but I will not look at pace. I will simply run the pace that I am capable of without focusing on what I am actually doing. I like this idea. For the 3:30 marathon in October I will want to know that I am running at pace and I will need the reassurance that the Garmin provides. Running these next two races hard, but without a specific goal, will help to keep me in the moment. I look forward to the surprise of seeing how what my pace is upon completion.

No comments:

Post a Comment