Wednesday, May 26, 2010

I resolved not to pee on myself anymore

With four days until the Saskatchewan Marathon and my last attempt at a Boston Marathon qualifying time of 3:30:59 or less I have started to feel good. I have been getting as much sleep as I can to the point that after today's nap I feel overslept. For the first time in weeks my legs feel strong and rested. Sunday's run and today's run both started with fresh legs. A good feeling.

And this all leads to this conundrum...

Last summer I did the Stoney Plain Half-Ironman. About 60 km into the 90 km bike ride I had to pee. All triathletes pee in their wetsuits at the beginning of the race. If they claim they don't, they are lying. Great triathletes who are racing to win must pee themselves during the bike and run. I assume they open the faucet and let the water run. During the Stoney Plain bike portion I decided to go halfway. I stopped my bike and, straddling the bike on the side of the road, I peed. As my shoe got full I realized something, "I am going to place 1789th out of 2150 racers -- why am I peeing in my shoe?" In that moment I decided to stop peeing on myself during races. Never again.

On Sunday, though, a few seconds might be the difference between me running the Boston Marathon and not running the Boston Marathon.

At this point my plan is to make sure I do my duty before the race starts and then hope for the best. And, I think I will switch my pre-race ritual form a large double-double to a medium.

No comments:

Post a Comment