Thursday, February 25, 2010

My hips are close to finished

I have had bad hips for a few years. I'm 44. Early arthritis. This past year they have gotten noticeably worse, particularly the left hip.

I just had x-rays (again): "Advanced Degenerative Hip Disease that is substantially worse than the last x-ray in May, 2009."

Sigh.

Even though I knew this, it's still hard to hear.

The literature is clear, running does not cause arthritis. But, I can't find any literature regarding what to do if you already have advanced arthritis. I have been referred to an orthopedic surgeon and I look forward to talking about anything that will help me over the next 14 months since I have decided to plow ahead with my original plans: Saskatchewan Marathon at the end of May to qualify for Boston, Ironman Canada at the end of August to say I did, and the Boston Marathon in 2011 as my retirement swan song.

I am not an exercise addict. I am not obsessed. But, these goals have been in development for about three years and I want to see them through. This may mean that my hip replacement comes a little earlier than it otherwise would but I don't think I am going to make 55 with the hips I have now and I can't see that four or five years makes much difference.

So... back to training.

I am the most-coached slow athlete in the world. This Sunday starts a 13 week cycle to the Saskatchewan Marathon -- time to go back to work. Bruce Craven (coach), Paul Armstrong (swim coach), and Lindsay Byers (trainer), I am counting on you guys to get me there.

On a lighter note, a lot of the big races have a course fly-through. For those of you from warmer climates, I thought you might enjoy a fly-through of the Saskatoon winter-training Ironman Bike Course.

1 comment:

  1. I am in your same situation re hips. Docs tell me to stop running but there is no evidence that it make hips worse, just that it makes it painful. I'd rather compete and be in pain than sitting all day and still be in pain. I just did 13 miles and had to stop after 8 because of pain. Still finished the 13.1 miles with a walk run strategy.

    ReplyDelete