Monday, July 5, 2010

I am tired but I think I have found my motivation

Recently, training has some good and some bad.

On a good note, I am enjoying cycling. This weekend saw a 112 km ride. This is my longest ever. I actually enjoyed it. Not until the 3:45 mark did I find myself in the least bit fatigued. Shortly after finishing I felt like I had done nothing at all. Cycling is good.

Yesterday I had a very good open water swim. I really focused on staying long and easy with my stroke. When swimming I have a tendency to start too fast, drive my heart rate too high, become uneasy in the water, and then get defeated mentally. Yesterday I worked hard to simply relax and keep swimming. If I found the stress level rising I simply kicked back to a very easy pace and relaxed. It worked. And, with a weekly long open water swim I feel confident that Ironman will go well (Frank Dunn in August will be a good test, too).

On a funny note I reached one of the buoys in the Pike Lake swimming area and had a freak out moment. Looking down into the murky depths I saw a severed human hand. I came up for air and then looked again. This time it had become a severed human foot. Aaahhh! I was about to call for help when I popped up to see Mark looking at me, “Hi Dave.” He was swimming in his wetsuit and the water at Pike Lake is so thick that all I could see were his pink extremities. We had a nice chat. Panic averted. No corpse after all.

The bad news is that my overwhelming impression of my training is … overwhelming. I feel tired and I am having a ton of trouble staying highly motivated. Interestingly, it’s running that has become the hardest of the disciplines for me.

As the volume of training has increased I am finding it increasingly difficult to find the willpower for hard intervals. If it was simply a matter of volume, I would be happily out there on some long training days taking it easy and enjoying the scenery. Where I suffer a lack of strength is where it’s volume AND intensity. I am hoping, however, that as of this writing that my strength is returning.

Saturday’s run was supposed to my 90 minutes at 4:55/km (this was after 4 hours in the saddle). I was good until about the 50 minute mark and then I decided that I had gone far enough. Oof. I started the long walk home. On the walk, though, I found what I hope will be the motivation to see me through the coming weeks.
I am the Learn to Run Coach at Brainsport. It’s my job to motivate thirty-five new runners to make it through an eight week program culminating in a 5 km road race. I remember my first ever 13 week program going from never having run to running 10 km. It was hard but I did it. And, I was proud of myself.  The members of this clinic are getting through something similar now. I am sure that they are finding it hard. And, I am sure that they are getting through it.

Buoyed by their commitment, I started my feet going again and finished up my run. Thank you for the inspiration.

OK… this week will be a good test for me. Time to suck it up and get it done. Ironman is now less than eight weeks away. I need to:

(1)    Get enough sleep;
(2)    Stay positive; and
(3)    Do what I have to do.

I am lucky to have a job that leaves my afternoons free. I am amazed that anyone with a full time job EVER gets through an Ironman. Really, you would have NO life.

This week’s training plan:

MONDAY – 90 minute pool swim, 40 minute easy run.
TUESDAY – 90 minute ride with 2 x 10 minutes HARD, 60 minute run with 2 x 10 minutes HARD.
WEDNESDAY – 60 minute open water swim, 60 minute easy ride.
THURSDAY – Run 10 x 1 km at 4:30 with a 2 minute break at 4:55 in between (this is THE test this week), 60 minute swim with Coach Paul.
FRIDAY – 60 minute strength training, 45 minute swim, 30 minute easy run.
SATURDAY – DAY OF REST.
SUNDAY – 5 hour easy ride, 30 minute run at 4:55/km.

2 comments:

  1. Are these posts for you or some stalker?

    Your devotion to the minutia of your training schedule borders on the OCD level.

    Hope this is helping.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm surprised at the security and complicated nature of leaving a comment on your site.

    It is no surprise that you don't have any comments on your blog, besides the rather soporific nature of the content.

    None the less, as I have insomnia, I await your next toothsome morsel of bloggy goodness.

    Warmest Regards,

    Bill

    ReplyDelete